Out and About: An Interactive Course in Beginning English
by Amy Hemmert and Rick Kappra
Category: Life Skills: Survival/Functional English
Language Level: Beginner
Education Sector: High School, Pre-University (Intensive type programs), Adult Education
| This innovative, activity-packed textbook gets beginning learners of English on their feet and speaking the language from day one! Addressing SCANS competencies and CASAS requirements, Out and About provides a language syllabus for adults of all ages.
Through Out and About's dynamic, student-centered approach, students will:
• learn to communicate in everyday situations--from the classroom to the doctor's office;
• master useful vocabulary related to everyday topics, including housing, clothing, and shopping;
• acquire important life skills through practical, hands-on activities related to reading maps, making appointments, and talking on the phone;
• build valuable study skills and critical thinking skills;
• gain independence and confidence!
Each unit provides a well-defined series of picture-based vocabulary activities followed by contextualized, multi-skill practice activities. Key language and vocabulary are recycled and reinforced in creative and stimulating ways.
Out and About celebrates the diversity of the language classroom and the world we live in. Every effort has been made to avoid stereotypes. In doing so, Out and About features people of various ethnic backgrounds, women in traditionally male occupations, and non-traditional families, such as single-parent families and same-sex couples. Students will also learn language for expressing food restrictions determined by religious custom or cultural preference.
• Teacher's Guide: The free downloadable Teacher's Guide offers unit objectives, outlines, vocabulary lists, and step-by-step procedures--making even the most novice teacher feel comfortable working with true beginners!
Download a complimentary copy of the Teacher's Guide!
• Teacher's Resource Book: This photocopiable activity book offers supplementary games, crossword puzzles, class mingles, fluency circles, end-of-unit progress checks, and more. It can be used independently or in conjunction with the Student Book. See the separate entry, Out and About Teacher's Resource Book, for further details.
Out and About gives students the skills and confidence they need to . . . well . . . GET OUT AND ABOUT!
A note from the author re: time needed to get through this book:
I teach 10 hours per week for 18 weeks. In a normal semester, even if I supplement, I can get through most of the book. If I don't supplement with any of my own materials, and simply use the book and the activities in the Teacher's Resource Book, I can easily fill 18 weeks at 10 hours per week.
Currently I am teaching a high level 1/low level 2. I'm going a bit faster than I would in a true beginning level 1, but the class only meets 5 hours per week. I am not supplementing that much and expect to be able to finish the book in this class as well, even though it only meets for half the hours that I normally teach.
I think the book is adaptable to many different situations and can be stretched out (with extra mingle activities for example), or activities can be used selectively so that students can complete the book in one semester. One of my colleagues who knew she would have mostly the same students two semesters in a row decided to split the book in two, and taught half one semester, and the second half the next semester.
This item is part of series/related titles group(s):
Out and About
Please note ISBNs are changing universally from 10 to 13 digits. Use the ISBN Converter if you are having problems matching ISBNs.
You may also place an order by contacting Alta Books
Ph.: 800.ALTA/ESL or 801.377.1530 International
Fax: 800.ALTA/FAX or 801.222.9199 International
Mail: Alta Books, PO Box 1736, Provo, Utah 84603 USA